History

1898-1925

McDowell Purcell is a long established corporate law firm which was founded in 1898 by John M. McDowell.

Located at 29 Lower Ormond Quay, Dublin 7, John M. McDowell & Co was close to where the firm’s office is currently located in The Capel Building, Mary’s Abbey, Dublin 7.

John M. McDowell & Co. was a busy general practice which involved many generations of the McDowell family.

In 1925, when John M. McDowell suddenly passed away, his son, Dermot McDowell, took over the running of the practice.

1925-1967

In 1956, Denis McDowell, Dermot McDowell’s son, began working and training as a Solicitor with his father.

Denis qualified as a Solicitor in 1962 and in 1964, Denis became a Partner in the firm.

In 1967 Denis followed in his father’s footsteps and continued the running of the family practice.

1967-2013

From 1967 until 1998, Denis McDowell continued to practice under the title of John M. McDowell & Co.

The name of the firm changed to McDowell Purcell in 1998 when John Paul McDowell, Denis McDowell’s son, and Breen Purcell joined the practice.

Denis McDowell retired as a Partner in 2005 and he remains a Consultant to the firm.

We are proud of our history and continue to maintain the values and principles that have been the hallmarks of our firm for more than 100 years.