We strive to combine the provision of high quality legal service to our clients with a rewarding working environment and an awareness of the wider community.
Our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) policy is based on our firm’s pro bono work, volunteering, charitable activities, the environment and our employees.
McDowell Purcell works in partnership with the Public Interest Law Alliance (PILA). PILA operates a professional referral scheme that matches our legal skills to specific legal assistance requirements from non-governmental organisations, law centres and community organisations.
Our Solicitors also participate in the Free Legal Advice Centres (FLAC). FLAC is an independent human rights organisation dedicated to the realisation of equal access to justice for all.
Volunteering and Charitable Activities
We are committed to supporting the community of Dublin. We support a large number of charities throughout the year.
Some of our most recent and on-going fundraising and charitable activities include:
- Irish Rule of Law International – Commercial Law Training Programme. We support this programme by offering placements to lawyers from historically disadvantaged backgrounds in South Africa within our corporate team.
- Support of the Calcutta Run 2013. Through our sponsorship and participation in the event on an annual basis, vital funds have been raised for the Peter McVerry Trust and Goal.
- Run in the Dark 2012 and 2013 in aid of the Mark Pollock Trust.
- The Docklands Run in June 2013 in aid of Barnardos.
- Irish Cancer Society on Daffodil Day 2013 through volunteering and bake sales.
- Donation to the Philippines Relief Appeal helping those affected by the Typhoon in November 2013.
We take our responsibilities to the environment seriously. We are committed to integrating best environmental practice into all of our business activities in order to minimise our environmental footprint. McDowell Purcell was a Finalist in the Green Awards 2012 and in 2013.
We work to ensure that we:
- Conduct our activities in full knowledge of and in compliance with Environmental Regulations
- Establish environmental awareness
- Commit to improve environmental performance amongst our people and suppliers
- Minimise consumption of natural resources and wastage
McDowell Purcell implements the following green initiatives:
- The provision of separate recycling bins and shredding bins
- Recycling of our used computers
- Recycling of used computer toners
- Encouraging everyone to turn off all lights, computers and photocopiers
- Actively participating in the Cycle to Work campaign
- Donating our old mobile phones to the Jack and Jill Foundation
At McDowell Purcell we recognise that our continued success depends on attracting the best people and nurturing their talent so we can continue to offer services of the highest calibre. Our Intern Programme forms an integral part of the Firm’s resourcing strategy. We see the programme as an opportunity for individuals to learn from our legal professionals and for us to identify potential Trainees.
McDowell Purcell is open to intern applications from potential solicitors who are as ambitious as we are.
As part of our CSR policy we are committed to creating an environment in which our staff can achieve their full potential.
The firm has adopted a number of initiatives within the workplace in relation to our employees:
- Staff Development and Training. We provide internal and external training and learning support to each individual.
- We encourage staff involvement at all levels. Staff are involved in the improvement of services within the firm whether it be through, for example, the development of our IT services or the expansion of our knowledge base.
- We have an open plan layout. Everyone sits in open plan, including the Partners. This provides an inclusive environment and encourages open communication throughout the firm.
- We hold regular social events at team, department and Firm level.